Search This Blog

Thursday

The Legendary Billie Faye

 

Moving to Sunray, Texas

BILLIE FAYE SCHUMACHER HAS GONE TO FIND ERNIE

I was privileged to work for Billie Faye and Ernie Schumacher at the Sunray Lumber Yard after school and on Saturdays most of my Jr. and Sr. year. Ernie was the mayor and had an office on the left side and Billie Faye had the right-side office where she handled the books with a smaller room just big enough for her Law desk and 2 chairs.

It was there that people came to plead their case and pay fines.  You see, she was also the Justice of the Peace. I was in constant awe as I watched them conduct business! They both would occasionally take me aside to explain a proceeding or why they made decisions and judgments.

I was watching the business of Sunray firsthand. On top of that, I learned about lumber and building supplies, I mixed the paint and learned all the tools and other cool things that a rural lumber yard would sell.

I had a pickup and often made deliveries. My first delivery was sand for little Jeffery Keith's sandbox. Betty Keith was so complimentary that I got a dime an hour raise! That was a big deal back then. I even caddied for Sunray's blind mayor a couple of times. Did you know he had 2 holes in ones after he went blind?

I was really on my best behavior working there and over the years whenever Billie Faye would see me, she would tell people that I was one of the best employees she ever had!

She was a tiny lady, but she lived a gigantic life! Her story is remarkable and lasted nearly a century. I kept in touch with her as much as I could

I visited her over the years. When she sold the Lumber Yard, she became the County Judge, and I was so proud of her. I made a point to drop by whenever I was in Dumas.

She was one of 9 and one of a kind born in 1926 and living through the Dust Bowl, wars, and most of Sunray’s history.

I saw her a couple of years ago at the Moore County courthouse. Sure enough, we were talking to the sheriff and she told him I was her all-time favorite employee. She had an incredible strength of character and I know that she inspired hundreds maybe thousands over her long life. I am so grateful to her and Ernie for those 2 years of incredible exposure to basic government and law while I learned so much more.

Prepare to be inspired by my Billie Faye

I NEVER THOUGHT THERE WAS SOMETHING A GIRL COULDN'T DO

2 comments:

  1. What a great article JB! It took me back to my memories of Billie Faye,Ernie and the Sunray Hardware store. I also worked for Billie Faye one summer when I was 16. I entered the receipts for all those fines paid, in her court docket books. I typed the weekly bulletin for the Methodist Church on an old manual typewriter and printed it on a hand cranked mimeograph machine! I remember Ernie and his dog hanging out at the Sunray Drug Store with Pat Hill and the coffee drinking buddies.I worked as a "soda jerk" at the drugstore soda fountain when I was in Jr High. Ernie always had the best smile!
    I am sad to say farewell to Billie Faye, but thankful for the lessons learned and all the good memories of my life growing up in Sunray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great article JB! It took me back to my memories of Billie Faye,Ernie and the Sunray Hardware store. I also worked for Billie Faye one summer when I was 16. I entered the receipts for all those fines paid, in her court docket books. I typed the weekly bulletin for the Methodist Church on an old manual typewriter and printed it on a hand cranked mimeograph machine! I remember Ernie and his dog hanging out at the Sunray Drug Store with Pat Hill and the coffee drinking buddies.I worked as a "soda jerk" at the drugstore soda fountain when I was in Jr High. Ernie always had the best smile!
    I am sad to say farewell to Billie Faye, but thankful for the lessons learned and all the good memories of my life growing up in Sunray.

    ReplyDelete