Search This Blog

Wednesday

Character that last a lifetime!

Adopted by Justice Mike Missildine 

 by JB Blocker


 

  The Plano J.P. court room was full, and a clerk was sorting through a stack of files. Mine was in that stack. I was here to deal with a questionable ticket or three. Sitting in the back of the gallery, I saw the new Plano Justice of the Peace Michael Missildine poke his head in from the side door. I stood and waved at him.

  Mike and I have a special friendship. It goes back to when he was a teenager in Amarillo, and I was the new G.M. of the Mr. Burger chain known mostly throughout the Texas/Oklahoma panhandles.

   Wearing his new black robe, it was the first time for me to see him as Justice Missildine.  I have many friends and clients who are judges all the way to the Texas Supreme Court, but I was thinking more like a proud relative might.

  He called me out and we met in front of the bench where we exchanged brotherly hugs. He addressed the others in the room, wished them well, and then laid an honor on me I will never forget.

  “This is my good friend JB Blocker, the Lone Star Reporter, and he is like a second father to me!” People ooed and clapped, we shook hands and agreed to catch up afterwards, and the Justice went back to his court.

AMARILOANS: Some of Collin County’s best imports

  I have lived in Collin since ’07 but I was a student from Sunray, down to Lubbock, and became a man in Amarillo. Two men on this years November ballot have been part of life changing encounters.


  Lt. Col./County Judge/U.S. Congressional candidate Keith Self
was a West Point Cadet when we met. He attended Tascosa High School in Amarillo.

  When my father retired as Master Chief of the Navy, he took me to a V.A. event of some sort. He was considering overseeing the ROTC program. I was around 16 and my dad was sort of a guest of honor. Also visiting was West Point Cadet Keith Self.

  Looking back, of course Keith would have been a poster boy for recruiting panhandle boys. Vietnam was still going on and they were still drafting straight out of high school.

  Keith is a 5th generation Texan who was no stranger to horses and plows. He was receiving a lot of attention from the veterans as he stood with confidence and poise. We are 4 years apart, and I watched him as he stood near my dad dressed in his splendid Navy Whites covered with 30 years of service bars from World War II, Korea, Vietnam, and the 7 Seas as he would say. My dad looked like a movie star in my eyes.

  Even so, I really paid attention to Keith. I was a wall flower and largely unseen! At some point Keith who had nodded and grinned at me, came over. He talked to me about my dad’s service, and I asked him about West Point. I wanted to be like him. He is not a big man, but he seemed indomitable to me. He would prove to be just that in his career!

Keith Self-Texas Tough

  On the drive back to Sunray I might have irritated my dad a bit by carrying on about wanting to go to West Point. I never forgot the impression Keith made on me. It would be nearly 40 years before we met again.

45 cent fries and Mr. Burger

  Our school field trip to Amarillo was my first bus ride to the big city. My 6th grade class stopped at the new McDonald's on Western and I-40. When the kids unloaded, I stayed on the bus. I had no money. When the kids boarded the smell of fries filled the bus. One of my classmates, Jeff Goodwin, handed me a bag of fries and a soda. He is just that kind of thoughtful person and he has made me proud to be his friend for all these years. Class is just part of some peoples DNA. I didn’t know what it was back then, but I have been passing it on ever since and I always think of those 45 cent fries and Jeff.

  Another lesson Jeff taught me was that Dr. Pepper is Texan and Coke is not! I have been a Pepper ever since!

 


 The Bell Street Mr. Burger is just down the street from Amarillo High School. It is the home base for training managers. Every school day, everyone of the 38 Mr. Burgers will fill the drive-ins around school closing. Sweet Cherry Limes, Chocolate Coke, Cherry 7up’s, Vanilla Dr. Peppers and great single, double, and triple burgers along with just about anything fried are the staple. Usually, a few pick-ups full of letter men and cars with cheerleaders would come and fill the lobby.

  One day I saw a teen about 15ish who was holding the door open for the others but was not coming in. He had a kind face with large innocent eyes. He had a dignity about him. It crossed my mind that he might not have money on him, and I thought of those 45 cent fries and Keith Self all at once.

  I grabbed a sweet cherry lime and walked it to him. I made up some excuse about needing an opinion on some adjustment to the soda machine and he reluctantly and politely tasted it and gave his approval.

  A few days later, that teenager came in and ordered. He took me to the side and said, “You knew I didn’t have money didn’t you! I appreciate that and I want to pay for it.” I told him, “You just did!” and told him to keep the money.

  He then said, “Actually, I came home with the drink and my mom asked me how I bought it. When I told her, she insisted that I come back and pay for it.”

  Class, dignity, and courtesy…It would be 20 years before we would meet again.

  His name was Mike.


Collin County

  When I moved to Collin County the newly elected county Judge was Keith Self. I met up with him as he was campaigning and reminded him how we had met. From that re-engagement on, Keith gave me great confidence around the court houses and county events. He always welcomed me when I would be at the county offices, and I would always stop and say hi. I have always thought of the Keith who talked to the wallflower. It is a reason that I try to notice the people at gatherings that are not engaging. I consider it to be one of my best traits.

   Over the years I have observed people and imagined the kind of people they would become. The Jeff Goodwin's, Keith Self’s, and Mike Missildine's would be measuring sticks.

  One day I was visiting my new friend Constable Joe Wright in Frisco. I kept looking at the familiar face of one of his deputies and he was looking me over too. When we spoke of how we might know each other, Amarillo came up.

  That’s when Deputy Mike Missildine said, “It was you! You were the man at Mr. Burger that knew I didn’t have money and bought me a soda and offered me some food.”

  “It was You! Yes, I remember you! You came back and tried to pay for it. I haven’t forgotten.” I was so pleased to see that this man still had that special character I had seen on Bell Street.   

Law Man/Judge/ Soldier/ PhD/ and what’s next?

From that reunion to this day Michael Missildine and I have formed a wonderful relationship. When we get together, time flies. I never had a son, so I may have told him that I live vicariously as a pseudo-dad to a few men and I am proud to be part of his life.

  Mike is always one of the first to respond to my stories and post. My question to him is always something like, “What do you want to do next?”

   He has become so well rounded that the city of Plano has the privilege of a truly kind and considerate man of experience and integrity. He is someone your young ones should know about.

 


Keith Self and Mike Missildine are on the 2022 ballot. They are examples of a lifetime of integrity. They both inspired me decades ago and will be faithfully representing the citizens of Collin County with leadership honed by years proven service.

What has Mike been up to?  

 Bio on Mike Missildine

  I wanted to share a few things that make me so confident in the quality of Justice of the Peace the city of Plano can be proud of.

Weddings: Since 2019 Mike’s court has averaged around 15-20 marriages a week. That works out to over 2000 knots tied! This is a extra-curricular function of the JP’s office usually held after hours. It is one of Mike’s favorite services that he feels is tantamount to delivering a child.

Animal Control: For two years, Mike served as the Dallas County Deputy in charge of Animal Control. It was a tough two years of seeing all kinds of cruelty and neglect. Some of it wasn’t as mean spirited as it was just a lack of respect for life. It taught him a lot about people. Often the cruelty extended well beyond the animals and into the lives of children and spouses as well.

Evictions: One of the true problems of the Covid world has been the thousands that stayed in their houses and apartments without paying rent for months. When those protections went away, property owners rightfully sought evictions. The numbers in Plano alone have reached the thousands and have required extra court time to accommodate the hundreds per month.


Justice Michael Missildine has been recognized with the Legal Advocate Award for his leadership in engaging Legal Aid and support on site for those who are being evicted.

 


One evening I attended a banquet. When I found my seat it was at a table next to Mike and Kim, we were a bit surprised!  I am a proud 2nd dad!
 
 Michael Missildine is a member of the TXSG. Use of his military rank, job titles, and photographs in uniform does not imply endorsement by the Texas Military Department or the Texas State Guard."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment